Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Hypothetical Letter to Dr. Emdin



Dear Dr. Emdin,
I would like to express how moved I was from your address at Rhode Island College the other day.  Your approaches to fixing education and addressing the achievement gap were truly inspiring.  It has been a long time since I have experienced an orator such as yourself.
I completely agree with you that youth culture should be the “anchor of transformative pedagogy” in our schools.  I too believe that the hyper-focus on structure, behavior, and antiquated systemic values that mirror assembly line production should not have a place in the education system.  Instead, basing education within student interests is more likely to foster engagement and content retention.  I particularly liked your comments pertaining to students standing rather than sitting in the classroom, which promotes better blood flow.  This thought immediately appealed to my learning preferences, so I can certainly imagine it would be a great strategy in the classroom.  
Although I agree with the intentions of #HipHopEd and the goals and processes it represents, I am afraid it too can potentially limit educators’ perception of what students actually need.  I understand there is a significant portion of young people who listen and relate to hip-hop, but students’ interests are more extensive than one genre of music.  There are also many more aspects of youth culture that define a generation and have the power to engage their interests such as other types of music, dance, movies, technology, and fashion. In other words, your concept of using hip-hop is certainly a great approach, but why focus on one portion of youth culture?  If we are to truly differentiate instruction, then using hip-hop is only a single attempt in a vast world of youth interests.  Do not misunderstand me; advocating for hip-hop as a tool for learning can definitely prove useful.  But although hip-hop might be quite popular, it should not be our sole approach to transformative pedagogy.  I believe in and agree with all that you stand for, I simply believe a more holistic approach is more appropriate and necessary.     

No comments:

Post a Comment