Wednesday, December 10, 2014

RAFT Example - Eric Garner (postmortem)



Dear Officer Pantaleo,

I am Eric Garner, the man who died after you administered a choke hold on me.  Why did you do such a thing?  I understand I may have been breaking the law by selling loose cigarettes, but do you think that was a reason to die?  Now I am dead and you are receiving a bunch of negative publicity because someone recorded your actions on their smartphone.  Why did you think it was necessary for so many police officers to confront a man selling loose cigarettes?  Don’t you think you police officers could be spending your time better fighting more severe crimes?  

If I had the chance to relive that day I would not have argued with all of you police officers.  Also I would not have chanted “It Stops Today” during our interaction.   I have been watching this case develop from the afterlife because of all the media attention this case has received.  From what I have learned now, I realize that aggressively chanting, pulling my hands away from police, and arguing with police only gave the officers involved reasons to believe I was resisting arrest and possibly hostile.  I do not agree! I do not think I was being aggressive or hostile! But I do think that you policemen were harassing me for an issue that was not an arrestable offense.  I should have probably been issued a ticket or summons to court, not tackled to the ground with a choke hold around my neck! 

Anyway there is nothing we can do about it now.  We cannot change the past.  I do not hold a grudge against you because I cannot believe that were actually trying to hurt me.  Hopefully all of the media attention this case is getting will only force police officers in the future to really consider their actions.  I leave you with this thought - You are here to serve and protect Officer Pantaleo, not attack people committing misdemeanors. 

Sincerely,
Eric Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment