Wednesday, December 10, 2014

observation



Recently I had the pleasure of observing in Mr. Crookes’ Proficiency-Based Graduation Requirements (PBGR) classroom at Central Falls High School.  This program provides an opportunity for 18 – 21 year old students to earn a diploma to those have not yet completed the necessary requirements.  This class is comprised of students who have either left school for personal reasons or have not yet passed certain classes.  This program is a free and optional program with limited space that students must actively apply for and get accepted to.  In order to receive a diploma, PBGR students must present a portfolio that depicts all of the Proficiency-Based Graduation Requirements that all other high school students need to do as well.  This program specifically caters to each student’s requirements so each student has an opportunity to earn missing credits and graduate in a timely fashion. 
Mr. Crookes’ class curriculum is currently based in “Social Justice.”  All of the content revolves around the concepts, assumptions, and realities that exist in our culture.  One of my observations included a remarkable full-class conversation that involved a fictional novel the students had been reading.  The story involved a black man who was falsely accused of raping a white woman in the 1920’s.  The book allowed the class to actively discuss the specific conditions a black man faced in the 1920’s and make connections to our current societal state.  It was truly great to see most students genuinely excited about the content.
Another day I was able to observe a unique lesson.  Mr. Crookes told the class to stand in a line, in the middle of the room, next to each other, and all face a certain wall.  He then proceeded to ask questions that directed the students to either take a step forward for a “Yes” answer, or a step back for a “No.”  The questions were all based in “White Privileges” that included many inquiries about socioeconomic status, family history, personal accomplishments, and other random experiences that students answered with their feet.  The result was a class of students that were dispersed all around the room.  Mr. Crookes then asked questions to the students to open up discussion such as how they felt about where they and others stood.  It was a different experience that stimulated discussion and engagement for the students not only with the teacher, but amongst themselves as well.  After a decent round of conversation, Mr. Crookes asked the students to create an entry in their journals that explained their thoughts about their place in the room at the end of the exercise, as well as any other thoughts they gained from the experience.
Even though I have witnessed a few outstanding lessons in Mr. Crookes’s class, there were still a few students that did not want to participate in some of the tasks that he was asking.  As a future educator, I have been constantly wondering what I am going to do about those few students who are not interested in my instruction.  One would think that the students in this class would have more incentive to participate and complete as many tasks as possible in order to graduate sooner.  One would also think that administering content in methods relevant to student issues would help engage the students also.  This program is also optional and the students are not required to be there!  Another related issue that I have had difficulty with is the fact that most of Mr. Crookes’ students leave around lunch time most days and many students come to school at random times as well.  Therefore, at times it seems this PBGR class is really captivating and students are progressing towards their graduation, but then the lack of engagement, attendance, and commitment to a full school day hinder the program’s potential.  When addressing the lack of engagement, my teacher preparation courses have taught me that I should introspectively look at the quality, differentiation, and student relevance of my instruction  But in this case it seems that the instruction was extremely well thought out and particularly relevant to student interests.  So in this case, now what do I do?
The truth is, I am not quite sure that there is much more that I can do except keep trying.  I can get to know the students as best as I can in order to further cater to their interests and abilities.  I can also keep differentiating in an attempt to captivate students and keep their engagement.  If I keep switching around my instruction and I make it fun, I will hopefully be bound to impact all students eventually.  I simply need to keep believing that it is my instruction, not the student’s reluctance to learn, that needs modification.  Mr. Crookes admits it is a difficult scenario.  He cannot force students to be there and he can only put in his best efforts when they are.  He says in reality it is up to them how fast and if they graduate.
Overall the experience in Mr. Crookes room was a positive one.  I gained many experiences and techniques that I will keep in my teacher’s tool box.  These observations have taught me to remember that even the high quality differentiated instruction that intend on providing my students may not be enough to meet every student’s needs or interests, and that I will need to be constantly evolving in order to do so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment